There is a different kind of calling attached to the Indian Navy. Have you seen those ads in newspapers that ask you to join the navy? As a child, we used to get excited about seeing them. Then life happened and here we again, talking to you about one university that can take you in that vast ocean.
On top of that, you will be honored to serve your nation. And what if you get to study in a place that provides you with the best education and training in this line? Yes, I’m talking about Indian Maritime University.
Established in 2008, IMU is a central marine university.
Let’s talk about its campuses right now.
The first campus of Indian Maritime sits on the land of merchants, Kochi. Also known for its richness in heritage. One significant reason for having a campus here is, having the longest coastline i.e on the Malabar coast. Can you feel that breeze already?
The Kochi campus was inaugurated in January 2010 by Shri. K. Mohandas, an IAS, secretary, Ministry of Shipping. It offers the following programs:
- MBA in Port and Shipping Management
- MBA in International Transportation & Logistics Management
- B.Sc., in Nautical Science
- BBA in Logistics, Retailing & E-Commerce
The campus is filled with facility spaces like hospitals, fire stations, and workshops. The School of Maritime Management is brimming with lecture halls, libraries, hostel blocks, etc.
You can reach out at [email protected] for admission inquiries.
Chennai, a metropolitan known for its socio-economic background lies on the flat coastal plains of Tamil Nadu. Our next campus of Indian Maritime University lies in the shiny city.
Chennai campus is spread across a coastline of 25 km.
It was founded in 1985 and is credited with ISO 9001:2000. Offers-
- Diploma in Nautical Science
- BBA in Logistics, Retailing and E-Commerce
- B.Sc Nautical Science
- B.Tech Marine Engineering
- MBA Port and Shipping Mgt
- MBA in International Transportation and Logistics Management
- Post Sea / STCW Courses
The campus has a great infrastructure for classrooms, best of libraries which are packed with resources like books, DVDs, and movies on marine information.
You can reach email at [email protected] for admission inquiries.
This facility has awesome infrastructure. The facilities, the people, the aura of discipline, everything is commendable.
The Indian Maritime University’s Kolkata campus is slightly different from other campuses. It has two bodies. One is dedicated to marine engineering and research, the other one is dedicated to port management.
Let us discuss these ones by one.
Marine Engineering & Research Institute
Have you heard about a saying that goes like
“Promise less and deliver more”
This is exactly how the Marine Engineering and Research Institute, Kolkata has been working for 63 years now. It has reached the status of the best Marine Institute in the world.
The programs they offer are given below.
- B.Tech in Marine Engineering
- M.Tech in Marine Engineering & Management
- MBA in International Transportation & Logistics Management
You can reach their helpdesk for admission-related queries at [email protected]
Indian Institute of Port Management
The second division of IMU Kolkata’s campus is IIPM. This one was established in 1965.
- Postgraduate programs in port management
- Postgraduate programs in port development
- Post-Sea courses
For admission-related queries, you can reach them at [email protected]
Mumbai Port Campus
Mumbai, the city of dreams, helps young aspirants to become marine. The Indian Maritime University, Mumbai campus has been working on the aforesaid since 1948. This too has two branches.
Marine Engineering and Research Institute (MERI), Mumbai. MERI was established in Kolkata and has a branch in Mumbai. The other is Lal Bahadur College of Advanced Maritime Studies & Research that offers courses for merchant navy officers
Helpdesk for students with admission-related queries can be reached at [email protected]
Navi Mumbai Campus
Founded in 1927 this Navi Mumbai Campus has had many names that resembled fighters for the nation. It still offers various programs for its cadets under the name TS Chanakya.
Some of the programs are complete firefighter training, a three years B.Sc. course in Nautical Sciences, 1-year diploma in nautical science, 2 yr M.Sc. in commercial shipping and logistics, and more.
One of the best campuses of Indian Marine University is the Visakhapatnam campus.
Established in 1991 this campus has 100 acres of land under its name. Known for its research centers and great infrastructures this is an ideal place for anyone who wishes education and training in marine.
You can reach the student help desk at [email protected]
Is IMU a government college?
An Indian Maritime University, IMU is a semi-government college.
Is education in marine lines costly?
Depends on what costly means to you. Marine Education can be acquired if you can invest a minimum of 5 lakhs in education. There are various scholarship exams that you can take up to ease this burden down.
Is MERI worth the trouble?
Marine Engineering and Research Institute rank in the top 5 marine institutes in the world. This information is sufficient to answer your question.
How many universities in India offer marine education?
In all, there are over 47 Indian universities dedicated to education, training, and research in marine lines.
How can I join IMU?
You have to qualify the IMU’s CET exam(Common Entrance Test), for which you must have eligibility criteria- must have graduated with 50% and above from a recognized university and must score a minimum of 50 % marks in English subject in 10th/ 12th and graduation courses.
There is a lot to explore when talking about the Indian Maritime University. How does this function, what are the career options once you get into this university? What would your life be like after spending 3-5 years in this university?
Keep visiting NSDRC. Do leave your comments on how you liked this article.
We recommended you to read:
- 30 Best Blogging Courses: Free & Paid Options To Start & Grow Blog
- Aikyashree Scholarship Scheme 2022: Eligibility, Process and Application
- Best Biotechnology Courses in India After 10th, 12th, Graduation – 2021
- Best Courses After 12th Science for PCB & PCM | Scientist Courses For 2022
- Best Diploma Courses After 12th For Commerce, Science & Arts Students – 2022
- Best Marine Engineering Colleges In India
- BMMC: Full Form, Course Eligibility, Fee, Career & Salary 2022
- DHLS Full Form: Guide To DHLS Course With Eligibility, Process Opportunities and Salary
- Full Form Of BHMS And MBBS: Eligibility, Institutes, Syllabus 2022
- Full Form Of BSCC: How To Apply for Bihar Student Credit Card?
- Full Form Of DHMCT Course: Eligibility, Institutes, Syllabus and More
- Full Form Of DP – Display Picture or Data Processing?
- Full Form Of IPS: Eligibility, Skills, Exam Pattern & Salary – 2022
- Full Form Of ITI: Type, Eligibility & List of Colleges -2022
- Full Form Of PGDM – Eligibility, Institutes, Salary & Benefits in 2022
Check out imu.edu.in courses as well.